[sword-devel] DVCS (was Re: Project "Free Scriptures" started)

Dimitri John Ledkov dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 16 14:44:10 MST 2014

On 15 March 2014 18:25, rj_qgsous_sword <rj_qgsous_sword at objectmail.com> wrote:
> I saw recently that there has been a good deal of conversation on this
> mailing list about Git. Personally, I think that Mercurial (Hg) is much
> better than Git, and I wanted to mention a few things regarding this:
>
> Although (as someone recently mentioned) Mozilla Firefox OS switched from
> using Hg to Git, Mozilla still has a quite active (4 repositories changed so
> far today) Hg source code repository at <http://hg.mozilla.org>.
>
> When I was considering whether to use Git or Hg for my own single-person
> project, I was overwhelmed by the complexity of Git, with 139 commands in
> version 1.5.0.. A quick look at screenshots of TortoiseGit's context menu
> versus TortoiseHg's will show this difference as well. While Git may be
> faster than Hg for certain operations on Linux, it has a reputation for
> being difficult to learn, and its Windows support (as of 2010) was reported
> to be much worse than Hg's. (Some of this information is from a book that
> comes with TortoiseHg, Mercurial: The Definitive Guide, which might appear
> to be biased, but its comparison of different VCSs seems objective to me.)
> This book also mentions that Git repositories require frequent "repacks" of
> metadata, which can decrease performance, take large amounts of disk space
> and server bandwidth, and take many hours to complete for large
> repositories. It goes on to say that Git uses shell or Perl scripts to
> implement several of its commands, which can ignore certain errors that
> should be fatal.
>
> I have been using Mercurial (through TortoiseHg) for 6 months now and am
> very pleased with it. (I used TortoiseSVN before that, and had some
> frustrations with it.) Recently I found that a file in my repository had
> somehow gotten corrupted, but after reading the page on Mercurial's website
> about repository corruption, I was able to successfully recover my
> repository.
>
> Since switching to a different VCS can be quite an ordeal, I wanted to
> mention these things. I admit that I am not very knowledgeable about VCSs,
> so please correct me if I am wrong about anything.

git storage format is better than Mercurial's.
git UI/GUI are constantly improving.
msysgit / git cheetah (Tortoise-like plugin) are very performant.
Which i've facilitate in deployments to large and mostly Windows based
developers.
git has more traction behind it / more people and potential developers
know/use git.

If you preffer hg client, you can use http://hg-git.github.io/ against
git repositories without anybody finding out =)

--
Regards,

Dimitri.