[sword-devel] Xiphos crashes

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed Jun 11 06:59:22 MST 2014

On 2014-06-11, 13:37 GMT, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Greg is lately the regular producer of Fedora builds.
> Primarily he's
> building for Rawhide; out of a need for folks to get current state when
> they're in F20 and even F19 (which is where I am), I've begun building
> my own and making them available on Xiphos' SourceForge files.

That is not The Fedora Way™ … I have been always proud, that in
Fedora it is useless to have PPAs, because we have one shared
PPA on which everybody can work — the Fedora itself.

Couldn’t we just make single-spec package (with some %ifs if
necessary) building on supported Fedoras (F19, F20, Rawhide, at
the moment) and the last EPEL (for a moment, I would support
EPEL-6 as well, but after half-a-year or so I would stick with
just EPEL-7)?

Would anybody mind if I just build the latest sword and xiphos
for these repos?

>> Meanwhile, could I ask anybody to take a look at the crashes we
>> have in Bugzilla? Are https://bugzilla.redhat.com/801979,
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1085621, and
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1098005 all caused by some of our
>> packaging issues, or are they genuine crashes?
> Hm...
>
> 801979: That is from a version old enough that we no longer have or use
> gecko at all.  It dates from xulrunner.  We use only WebKit now, and
> have for a few years.  No longer relevant.

So, should I close it as CANTFIX (or WONTFIX)?

> 1085621: A crash on exit.  Not sure what to do about that.  Xiphos has
> shutdown the Sword backend, the GUI frontend, and told GTK to quit, and
> now just wants to leave.  I'll look into it but I'm mostly confused by
> this: There are 60+ frames of nonsense above Xiphos' call to exit, and
> perversely that includes the top 35 frames as being ... KDE
> initialization.  Does the phrase "um, what?" mean the same thing to
> others as it means to me?  Xiphos is a GNOME/GTK/GLib app.  I can't
> begin to guess what KDE is doing in the picture.

So needinfo asking what’s the relevance of KDE? Does the GUI
uses something weird like “Gnome theme making Gnome apps looking
like KDE ones” (what’s its name)? It used to lead to many
crashes, but I don’t know if such animal still exists in
KDE4/Gnome3 world.

Best,

Matěj