[sword-devel] diatheke methods exportable?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Jan 23 06:11:49 MST 2014

This a tentative question mostly re the doquery method of our diatheke.

I think it would be really useful if we could have this method somehow
be more part of our offerings, including e.g. in the bindings etc.

Reason: We are currently very much geared towards interactive continuous
Bible reading/study, but the doquery method represents an option which
is underutilised - a one-off static request for some text. No follow up.

This could e.g. be used very well for various word processor plugins etc
- something we do not offer at all, but would be well placed to offer.
The only current option for getting text from a sword text into e.g. an
OpenOffice document is by way of cutting and pasting from a frontend.

Similarly the various existing church projection software packages.
Insofar as they are sword-aware they seem to go through great
contortions of exporting texts into databases etc instead of actually
using the library

I am obviously aware that the doquery effect could be easily reached
with a few lines of code, but why not offer an extremely simple to use
and very comprehensive one-off output method which requires absolutely
zero knowledge of the engine?

I would be happy to run with this once I got my LaTeX filters where I
want them. I probably would require some assistance dt my lack of
knowledge and experience, but would do the bulk lifting.

Opinions?

Peter