[sword-devel] Emscripten (asm.js) was: (Re: Windows Phone (not Windows Mobile))

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 23:33:28 MST 2014

On 09/01/14 17:47, David Haslam wrote:
> We already have two front-ends that are Firefox add-ons.
>
> One is FireBible. The other is xulsword.

I have intentionally spoke about JavaScript not about Firefox (notice
also that Firefox OS despite the name and despite the fact it runs on
Gecko is not full Firefox running on the phone ... especially with
regards to NPAPI plugins and XUL apps).

FireBible is actually based on JSword and Java support in Firefox (and
all other browsers) is being (after line of high-profile Java security
breaches and less demand for it given the advent of JavaScript apps)
phased out together with NPAPI technology (which is foundation of Java
support in browsers). So, it doesn't work on Windows Phone nor on
Firefox OS.

Read
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/BwWeQwLACiM, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mozilla.dev.platform/NPAPI/mozilla.dev.platform/BwWeQwLACiM/PlgZKWK-EyYJ,
and https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper for the Mozilla side of the
story. Also
https://blog.mozilla.org/research/2012/11/12/introducing-the-shumway-open-swf-runtime-project/

http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/09/23/google-chrome-drops-netscape-plugin-api-support-to-improve-stability-will-block-most-plugins-in-january-2014/
for the Google position,

Mozilla prefers pure JavaScript and HTML5 app everywhere, and others
(particularly Google) prefer their own proprietary (meaning used and
developed only by them; nothing about licensing) technology.

XULSword is based on C++ libsword, which means it doesn't work on
Firefox OS (there is no C-level API for that), nor it works on Windows
Phone. Also, whole XUL technology is limited to the real Firefox on
desktop operation systems (it might be possible that Firefox for Android
is able to run XUL apps as well, but I doubt it would be a pleasant
experience).

To make long story short ... neither of these solutions have any hope
for Windows Phone (or Firefox OS), and frankly I don’t consider either
of these viable long-term solution.

Blessings,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Why should I travel, when I'm already there?
    -- Bostonian lady, when being asked why she never visited
        other places than Boston