[sword-devel] DVCS (was Re: Project "Free Scriptures" started)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Feb 28 07:45:32 MST 2014

On 2/27/2014 11:32 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Look guys,  if you only read and consider any of my emails in their
> entirely, make it this one.
>
> 1) I don't hate DVCS.
> 2) I believe git is the dominant opensource DVCS (nb: 'D') winner and
> choice.
> 3) I have never said we WON'T switch to git at some time.
> 4) I have never said that SVN is superior to git.
> 5) I don't want anything to be 'closed' or 'hidden'.
> ____________________________________
>
> The reason things aren't switching right now:
>
> 1) Contrary to popular belief, the project is not stagnant.  You can
> check the commit logs.  I also currently have multiple working copies on
> my personal box with code changes I am testing and improving before I
> commit.  I personally am still more comfortable in SVN than git-- in
> both using daily and more importantly administrating.  I make the
> majority of the commits to the repository, second probably Chris, then
> probably DM, and then likely GHellings after that (sorry if I've gotten
> the order wrong).  Only one of these people is pushing for changing the
> central repository to git (GHellings).

Based on ohloh's statistics, Sword development exhibits "Moderate
activity", which puts us in the top 3.8%-1.2% of projects they track.

Top committers (in the sword repository ONLY--which is not necessarily a
representative statistic for everyone), who are still active in the last
12 months are, in order: Troy, me, Greg, Manfred, DM, & Peter.

Commit stats:
https://www.ohloh.net/p/sword/contributors?sort=latest_commit

FWIW, I do in fact support a move to git. I'm just not religious about
it. I see it as inevitable. I see it as a positive move for CrossWire. I
don't personally like *using* git all that much, but that's largely
because I use it seldom & don't know it all that well. But I'll
learn--all of us who don't know git that well will learn.

--Chris