[sword-devel] Parallel display of modules with varying v11ns

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 26 12:00:11 MST 2014

One positive thing from the previous thread is the reminder of Kosta's proposed implementation for translation between modules of varying v11n.

The accusation of irresponsibility is warranted, not for delaying the patch submission, but for delaying the discussion toward a resolution and buyin by a consensus of frontends.

To sum up:

We have refactored and isolated translation to a single point within the engine. Basically, when you set the value of one VerseKey from a VerseKey with differing v11n, translation will happen. This propogates naturally to many places in the engine. For example it will allow one to set the LXX module from a key obtained from the KJV module:

lxx.setKey(KJV.getKey());

The question still on the table is: how useful is this for the primary use case of displaying in parallel modules with varying v11ns?

A secondary question is how can we optimize, in both speed and size, the translation. The JSword team is beginning to implement their own mechanism and I would like to hear about their experience.

There are open threads on this with many of my, and others, thoughts and concerns. I would appreciate it if commenters might consider searching the list history before commenting.

My theoretical question is, what logic do we want to use to create a parallel display? There are many hard cases we haven't resolved, even if the resolution is "we simply don't handle that, and what you'll see is X."

I know the STEP tools have a parallel display implementation. I have no idea if its behavior in corner cases is acceptable to most.