[sword-devel] DVCS (was Re: Project "Free Scriptures" started)

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Feb 26 10:22:34 MST 2014

> Von: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org>ptures" started)

> While I enjoy hearing all the the praises of git from its fanbase, I don't agree with your deductions. There are at least two sword git repositories publicly available which I know about. The point is,    > git is a DVCS. Collaboration happens between distributed clones regardless if the source from which they fork even still exists. It shouldn't matter to a git user if the source is an svn repository,      > except as a matter of religion or politics. :)

True, but politics matter and religion too. If the project is perceived to be too stagnant then one of the git clones will start acting like a new master. And if there is an added difficulty in that the main contributor/controller does not participate in the git interplay then this becomes a lot more likely. or even more likely we have people turning away.

> When git gits to 65+% popularity among open source projects, you can start waiving the popularity flag.

I think the question is whether DVCS or non DVCS. As far as popularity within the DVCS camp goes - git is it.

> Nic, you make it sound like I've repeatedly dropped multiple patches you've tried to submit. I hope I've not been that irresponsible.

Troy, if you look at the mad rush and long delays before the last release, I think, without wishing to be insulting, it can be fairly said you are dropping things. Again and again. And if people persist, they get things in (I got my bibliography stuff in), if they do not, they do not. I am around for long enough and trusted well enough that I get my stuff done, eventually, but others do not. What about Kostya's stuff?

Peter