[sword-devel] BpBible - was Re: Best Windows compiler to use to make Python bindings to Sword?

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 07:04:01 MST 2014

Hi Peter,

Honest answer: I don't know.  More details below.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM, Peter Von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> > Von: "Jonathan Morgan" <jonmmorgan at gmail.com>
>
> > I haven't built SWORD for a few years,
>

> Dear Jonathan
>
> Just a short question - and this is a complete aside for this thread - is
> BpBible still maintained or not?
>
> Also will BpBible at any time support av11n - even if there is no mapping?
> We have more and more modules which are av11n and not just weird and
> wonderful ones, but the bulk of United Bible Society and Wycliffe produced
> texts e.g. conforms to NRSV rather than KJV. Absence of full av11n
> compliance will mean that a verse in the NT is inaccessible (something in
> letters of John, IIRC)

Understood.  I have been aware of the move to other versifications for a
few years now, and that has made me more certain that av11n *should* be
supported by BPBible.  Unfortunately, that doesn't magic up time to work on
it :(.

I did start work on av11n early last year, but got side-lined with other
things.
I actually tried to pick it up again last weekend, but found that I had
broken my entire development environment in non-trivial ways I'll have to
work through.

Probably what I said to Greg recently sums it up: "BPBible does not support
av11n.  It has been hovering very close to the top of the list for a number
of years, but is an unknown amount of work."

> I am thinking of revamping part of our application list page to ensure it
> is all up to date and it would be good to know

My statement would be something like:
Usable: Yes (though unfortunately with the KJV v11n only).
Maintained: Not much.
Abandoned/Dead: No (though closer to it than I would like).

Jon