[sword-devel] Sword LICENSE

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 5 05:42:56 MST 2014

Re: Dual Ownership

Yes, CrossWire as always had the policy of requiring ownership be also
granted to CrossWire for any contributions which get added to our
repository.  This has been discussed many times and should be posted
conspicuously in multiple locations on our website (I hope it is
still).  It doesn't mean the original author loses their ownership, but
they must grant ownership rights also to CrossWire.  The reason has
indeed been that Bible societies, translation organizations, and other
ministries have at times asked to use our engine within a work which is
not GPL and we consider their request and almost always grant
permission.  I personally am not religious about the GPL.  My personal
goal is to write free software to aid ministries to serve their people
groups.  If they feel their ministry is served best by asking for
donations or selling part of their work to fund future work, I may not
always agree with them, but that is their choice.  I don't feel it's my
place to dictate to them how their ministry should be run, at the risk
that I won't aid their ministry.  If anyone would have submitted code or
a patch which included a copyright notice by other than CrossWire Bible
Society or by any other license than the GPL, it would not have been
accepted.  The reason I didn't choose an MIT style license is to better
encourage commercial vendors to contribute back to our code, if they
ever find parts of it useful.  That hasn't worked so well :(  I hope no
one feels they have been cheated.  We have always openly maintained this
policy and the copyright notice is universal throughout our code base.
I also hope we all feel the same about still aiding ministries where it
would be difficult for them to change their product licenses to GPL.

Troy