[sword-devel] A call for Python programmers ...

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:50:42 MST 2014

Hi Robert,

".... (e.g., when \d is used as a paragraph type marker with verses
logically "inside" the \d marker which is not actually documented [nor
banned] in the USFM specification)"

This is the subject of a separate (ongoing) email discussion that I started
the other day.

Actual thread title: "Verses that are [partly] a title ...."

When I first encountered this recently, I was very surprised, and obtained
confirmation from my contact in BFBS that this use of \d was "perfectly
valid".

The logical concept of being "inside" can only properly apply to USFM marker
pairs.
It's quite meaningless for USFM markers that have no explicit end tag.

This is one of the major theoretical problems in mapping USFM to OSIS.
How does one know where a given construct really ends?
The human brain is adept at judging by the context. Very hard to implement
by an algorithm.

Within Paratext, there is a background two way conversion between USFM and
USX.
The latter is a defined XML schema. It's this that validates USFM files.

Within other software such as Bibledit, the validation cannot be so
rigorous,
because it doesn't make use of the published USX schema.

Best regards,

David