[sword-devel] Verses that are [partly] a title ....

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Dec 28 14:21:08 MST 2014

I’m really not clear on what you mean. It’d be helpful to have the OSIS fragment that is being fed to osis2mod.

It really does not make sense that a title is place at the end of a verse, even though that is perfectly acceptable OSIS. A person viewing a verse in isolation probably would be confused to see a title after a verse.

From what you wrote, I’m envisioning:
<verse sID=‘yyy’ osisID=‘Ps.4.2’/> <!-- Start of the prior verse -->
verse 4.2 content
<title> Start of a title
<verse sID=‘xxx’ osisID=‘Ps.4.3’/> <!-- Start of the next verse in the middle of a title, but before the prior verse is ended. -->
the rest of a title </title>
<verse eID=‘yyy’ osisID=‘Ps.4.2’/> <!-- End of the prior verse after the start of the next verse -->
verse 4.3 content
<verse eID=‘xxx’ osisID=‘Ps.4.3’/> <!-- End of the “next” verse -->

I don’t know USFM at all, but can guess at some of it. From what I can tell, there are no end verse markers.

Are you saying that the expert author of the USFM also expertly created the OSIS, which in fact is really bad OSIS?

If the end verse is placed after the start of the next verse, that is just plain wrong.

If a verse start of end marker is within a title

In the following let beginning and end of a title element mean the spot between the title element and the adjacent title text.

If a verse end marker is at the beginning of a title, it should have been before the title element.

If a verse end marker is at the end of a title, it should have been after the title element.

If a verse start element is at the beginning of a title, it should have been before.

If a verse end element is at the end of a title, it should have been after.

If a verse end or a verse start is in the middle of a title, there should be two title elements, one before the verse end and one before the verse start.

Assuming that the USFM author is using the ParaText program properly and that the USFM is exemplary, then the USFM should not be modified.

It is not a work around to suggest that the author of the OSIS is wrong and needs to place the elements better. If that author of the OSIS is a program, then it needs to be fixed.

In His Service,
	DM