[sword-devel] cmake python bindings user location

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:35:57 MST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Ben <cricketc at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>              value through the cmake command. If I pass "1" as the
>>         value, then
>>              SWORD_PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR gets set, but it's obviously not
>>         what I'm
>>              looking for.
>>
>>              If I comment out the OPTION setting in cmake/options.cmake,
>>         it seems
>>              to work properly for me.
>>

>>         What exact command line are you invoking CMake with? And are you
>>         doing
>>         it from a clean configuration directory (e.g. new dir or "rm -rf
>>         * .*"
>>         beforehand)? CMake is very unfriendly towards attempts to
>>         reconfigure a
>>         directory.
>>

>>     cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="~/__**sword-cmake-build/install"
>>     -DLIBSWORD_LIBRARY_TYPE="__**Shared" -DSWORD_BUILD_TESTS=Yes
>>     -DSWORD_BINDINGS=Python
>>     -DSWORD_PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR=~/_**_sword-cmake-build/install
>>
>>     -DSWORD_BUILD_EXAMPLES=Yes /path/to/svn/sword
>>
>>     Yes, it's a clean directory.
>>
>>     I output the value of SWORD_PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR, and it says the
>>     value is "OFF". Again, if I remove the OPTION command in
>>     options.cmake, then it takes the value that I pass in from the
>>     command line.
>>

>>     -Ben
>>

>> I was misusing the CMake OPTION command. Turns out it only works for
>> ON/OFF values and cannot handle arbitrary strings. I have updated the
>> handling to hopefully work as intended. Can you give it a whirl and let
>> me know if it is now working better for you?
>>

> That part looks OK to me now, but I get a different error:
>
> -- Installing: /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib/sword/1.6.2_icu_/*
> *translit_Latin_Ugaritic.res
> -- Installing: /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib/sword/1.6.2_icu_/*
> *translit_swordindex.res
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> running install_lib
> creating /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64
> creating /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64/python
> copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6/_**Sword.so ->
> /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64/python
> copying build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6/**Sword.py ->
> /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64/python
> byte-compiling /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64/python/Sword.py
> to Sword.pyc
> running install_egg_info
> Writing /home/me/sword-cmake-build/**install/lib64/python/sword-1.**
> 6.2-py2.6.egg-info
> -- Installing: /usr/local/bin/addld
> CMake Error at utilities/cmake_install.cmake:**41 (FILE):
>   file INSTALL cannot copy file "/home/me/sword-cmake-build/**
> utilities/addld"
>   to "/usr/local/bin/addld".
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   cmake_install.cmake:275 (INCLUDE)
>
> I think maybe ${SWORD_INSTALL_DIR} should be changed to ${PREFIX} in

Good catch - looks like I accidentally grep'd for the wrong string when I
was making sure I had gotten them all. I have added the additional option
of BINDIR that captures the appropriate value. You can try again now, if
you'd like.

> Also, I'm not sure it's causing anything to fail, but the name of the icu
> directory seems to be missing something (1.6.2_icu_).

Hmm, maybe. I'm very un-knowledgeable on what the ICU stuff all is supposed
to be. That could explain the missing data warnings I see when I run the
modules frequently. I'll look into that.

--Greg