[sword-devel] Glosses vs Ruby

admin at bible.salterrae.net admin at bible.salterrae.net
Fri Jun 14 08:06:22 MST 2013

Thank you for your reply.

> On 13/06/2013, at 9:15 PM, admin at bible.salterrae.net wrote:
>
>>> Are the Japanese modules (in beta) going to be updated to reflect this?
>>
>> What should I do to relect that?
>
> Moving forward, if you are using "Ruby" or "Glosses", you should have the
> line:
> GlobalOptionFilter=OSISGlosses
> to signify that the front-end should have the ability to be able to toggle
> glosses on and off.

Hmm, It seems that there are no front-ends which renders the rubys as
 expected.
Some front-ends can show/hide the rubys, but when they show rubys,
they only shows the contents in parentheesis with smaller fonts --
which is not the expected representations of the rubys.

By the way, if the only difference is the description in the
module.conf , it will be a very easy thing to do.
( I can't understand why it will be a problem. )

Are there no needs to replace '<w gloss="つくり">創造</w>たまへり'
to '<w ruby="つくり">創造</w>たまへり' ?

I think 'ruby' does not mean 'glossary', and the name 'gloss' is
somewhat misleading.

Ruby should increase the readability of the users, but current
implementations of front-ends are not.

> I believe that glosses/ruby isn't supported in modules that aren't marked
> up in OSIS.  :)
>
> I hope that helps?  Thanks, ybic
> nic...  :)
>
> ps: The previous way was to have "=OSISRuby", but that has been deprecated
> and support for that may be removed "at any point in the future" from the
> API, according to the definition of "deprecated"...  ;)

FYI:
osis source text for 'kougo-yaku' without ruby
 http://bible.salterrae.net/sword/kougo-osis.xml.zip
osis source text for 'kougo-yaku' with ruby
 http://bible.salterrae.net/sword/kougo.osis.zip

osis source text for 'bungo-yaku' without ruby
 http://bible.salterrae.net/sword/bungo-noruby.osis.zip
osis source text for 'bungo-yaku' with ruby
 http://bible.salterrae.net/sword/bungo.osis.zip

bungo-yaku is combination of meiji-yaku(old testament) and
taisho-kaiyaku(new testament).

admin at bible.salterrae.net