[sword-devel] What is a mid-verse title?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 10 13:11:10 MST 2013

Only responding to the last part below.

On Jun 10, 2013, at 3:58 PM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Just to ensure there is no misunderstanding...
>
> Paratext permits but does not enforce sub-verses in the verse tag.
>
> The USFM Reference does not document this feature.
>
> We often see these explicit examples:
>
> \v 3-5a Some verse text for three and a half verses
> \v 5v-7 Some verse text for three and a half verses
>
> A section title between these two lines thus becomes a mid-verse title part
> way through verse 5.
>
> ------
>
>> From translators we now encounter things like this:
>
> \v 5 some verse text for part of a verse
> \s A suitable section title
> \p the remaining text for verse five
> \v 6 the text for verse six
>
> So what does usfm2osis.py do with these implicit examples?
> It doesn't first convert them to using sub-verses.
>
> It has no brief to do that.
> And even the code to handle explicit sub-verses is still only a roadmap
> intention.
>
> What should the OSIS output look like here?

Probably something like:
<verse osisID="Book.N.6" sID="Book.N.6"/>the text for verse six<verse osisID="Book.N.6" eID="Book.N.6"/>

It is fine for the title element to have a type and even subType attributes. It will not affect osis2mod's processing. Still have to have a look in SwordWEB to the ESV example.

There may or may not be spacing before or after the title. It is entirely unnecessary.

> And how will osis2mod handle the OSIS made using usfm2osis ?

If this is the output, it will be stored as (showing one line per verse in the uncompressed data file.):
some verse text for part of a verse<title>A suitable section title</title>the remainint text for verse five
the text for verse six

Note, the module does not have the verse elements.