[sword-devel] Scope/NoParagraphs (was: Re: Bible book introductions)

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Tue Jun 4 18:44:11 MST 2013

On 04/06/2013, at 7:20 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

>> None of Troy's concerns are addressed,
>
> Troy merely listed a few things and said he didn't like each. He didn't say why so there was no opportunity for further discussion.

hehe – when the gatekeeper for an opensource project doesn't like an idea, doesn't that mean you need to persuade that person that the ideas are likeable and worthwhile? :)

>> If you feel that Scope should still be under consideration, I encourage you to address Troy's objections.
>
> Answer to all objections: It can be handled automatically just like InstallSize. If it is there great. If not assume the entire v11n.

I love InstallSize as it means I simply need to download the mods.d.tar.gz file and then I can know how big a module is before downloading it. As an end user, this is convenient in seeing "oh, that module is actually 35MB and I'm only on a 3G connection. I might download that later over WiFi!"... It is simply a convenience method, but cannot be programmatically determined before downloading the module unless we were to switch the the jsword method of downloading modules in their ZIP format, where it would be a simple call to ask how big that one file is before asking the user for confirmation of whether they'd like to download the module. :)

So, I think "InstallSize" and "Scope" are rather different.

But I completely agree with what DM goes on to say, where we need to have the implementation to then assess whether or not it is actually fast enough for real world use, rather than discussing the theoretical. (which I may have mentioned in another email recently?) :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

ps: sorry for my sporadic emails, I currently only have specific times during the week to work on CrossWire stuff. :)