[sword-devel] Bible book introductions

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 3 08:52:41 MST 2013

On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
>
> It is far more than 70. Every chapter can have an introduction. To see if a module one would have to check every verse 0 for text content. It is not sufficient to see if it has content. It may only have structural content. So that means it will have to be parsed for text.
>
> Worst case is a module that does not have introductions. One would have to check every verse 0. If all that is wanted is to know whether a module has at least one introduction, the code can stop having found the first one.
>
> Also, non-canonical, non-title content can appear anywhere. It is quite possible for there to be section introductions. AFAIK, we just haven't had any modules with that. (But I have paper study bibles with that feature.) So that would mean that every verse would have to be checked to see if it has pre-verse content with introductory material.
>
> Then the scope of this thread has expanded from "Bible book introductions" to "Any introduction or title or non-canonical text anywhere".
>
> --Greg

My apologies for that. I have already hijacked it regarding scope. Probably should have started a separate thread for that.

If it is merely needed for book introductions, then it is lightweight.

However, I think his problem is actually bigger than just book introductions. I think he wants a user to be able to toggle canonical/non-canonical material in a fine grain manner (intros, colophons, titles).

In Him,
	DM