[sword-devel] Windows Utilities

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 23 10:48:01 MST 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:19 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 12:14 -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>> On Jul 23, 2013, at 11:49 AM, David Haslam wrote:
>>
>>> DM wrote,
>>>
>>> "Regarding linked verses, this is common in commentaries, but until recently
>>> was very rare in Bibles. It is still rare in Bibles.
>>>
>>> I can assure you that based upon the large number of Bible projects that I
>>> have worked on since 2007, the phenomenon of linked verses (/aka/ verse
>>> range tags) is NOT rare. If anything, it is now almost always the case that
>>> a Bible edited with Paratext will contain some linked verses. It is very
>>> common.
>>
>> I'll buy that linked verses is common in new translations.
>>
>> So, what percent of the modules in the CrossWire repository have linked verses? Isn't it low?
>
> I am unaware of any test for counting this, but I can confirm that not a
> single modern translation (modern being 20th century and since) I have
> dealt with had no linked verses.

There are two traditions regarding translation, word-by-word and thought-by-thought. The latter is very common among modern translators and I think it lends itself to linked verses.

> As an issue it was for a long time not obvious to many of us. I think at
> the time when we did the big Beta testing and clearout - probably 2006
> or so, we became aware of the presence of linked verses in many/most
> modern translations - which at the time showed itself mostly as empty
> verses in our modules.
>
> So, linked verses are a matter of importance, I just struggle to see how
> the particular output should be a bug in mod2imp. Within the described
> purpose - it is no issue. I would close the bug as a whole and re-open
> one for diatheke (unless David comes up with a specific use related
> concern relating to mod2imp's current output which he has so far not
> done.

My educated guess is that Matt 1:1-3 should be something like:
$$$ Matt 1:1
verse text for Matt 1:1
$$$ Matt 1:2
@LINK Matt 1:1
$$$ Matt  1:3
@LINK Matt 1:1

I think there is an input style for imp2mod that accepts linking.

IMHO: there should be a round trip capability between mod2imp and imp2mod.