[sword-devel] Windows Utilities

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 23 09:14:45 MST 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 11:49 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> DM wrote,
>
> "Regarding linked verses, this is common in commentaries, but until recently
> was very rare in Bibles. It is still rare in Bibles. If it were in widely
> used Bibles and these tools were widely used, then fixing any of these might
> be more urgent."
>
> I can assure you that based upon the large number of Bible projects that I
> have worked on since 2007, the phenomenon of linked verses (/aka/ verse
> range tags) is NOT rare. If anything, it is now almost always the case that
> a Bible edited with Paratext will contain some linked verses. It is very
> common.

I'll buy that linked verses is common in new translations.

So, what percent of the modules in the CrossWire repository have linked verses? Isn't it low?

> Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably not actively developing more than a
> few Bible modules (or for that matter Go Bible apps).

Very few work on creating modules. So this is a safe statement.

Regarding the Jira issue, it appears that you have a work flow for module development that needs to see the data as it is in the module to see if there are any problems in the assigning of text to verse slots. Maybe if you described your need rather than the problems you encounter with the utilities, we can help you address your need?

For example, if you need to see the text, maybe you should make a raw module. Then the text in the module is visible, one verse per line.

If you need to be able to know where verse are in the raw text module and you are making your module from an OSIS file, then use the -d 2 which will put verse start and end markers into the module.

This won't show you linked verses, but it won't repeat text, which is the complaint about the three utilities.

In Him,
	DM