[sword-devel] Windows Utilities

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Jul 23 05:20:30 MST 2013

> Von: "David Haslam" <dfhmch at googlemail.com>

> These utilities should give the required output when single verses are
> requested, but should be "intelligent" enough to avoid duplications when a
> passage is to be processed that includes the verse range (or part of one).

Chris has answered already largely. Wrt to mod2imp - this is a utility for checking module content. The duplication tells you this is a linked verse. What else do you want from it? It coudl alternatively put that info into the imp node header, but I am not entirely sure why this would be better for the purpose it was designed for.

It is not a round robin utility and certainly not a commandline frontend.

In short - if you want to call it a bug - taking into account the scope and purpose of the utility you will need to explain why

$$$Matt.2.1-3
ABC ABC ABC

is better for your purposes than

$$$Matt.2.1
ABC ABC ABC
$$$Matt.2.2
ABC ABC ABC
$$$Matt.2.3
ABC ABC ABC

Latter is longer, for sure, but the implied information is the same. It certainly has served its purposes as far as i am concerned well enough.

Diatheke comes closer to being a front end - and here your described behaviour could indeed be called a bug. But FWIW, diatheke is obsolete for all purposes other than quick look ups and it is solely maintained because it is easily maintained. And it is a nice enough short checking tool. I would think that those who maintain it use it as a tool to get to grips with the API. Users are here truly secondary. Module makers should not use it to produce modules, but solely for checking purposes

There are a small number of projects (mostly church projection software) who use diatheke output and then post process it but I think this is simply a sign of lack of willingness to get to grips with the API. I have been in contact with one such project and pointed out the python bindings - my understanding is they will look at that closer and change their code as the options of the API are a manifold better than cut up diatheke output.

yours

Peter