[sword-devel] Missing ZIP files

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Jul 20 15:05:54 MST 2013

On Jul 20, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On 07/20/2013 07:14 AM, Martin Denham wrote:
>> They should be there again now.  And Bible depends on the av repository.
>>
>> See this thread for more info:
>> http://svn.crosswire.org/pipermail/jsword-devel/2013-April/004639.html
>>
>> It is a real shame the av zips are not created automatically.
>

> Or...
> It's a real shame that JSword doesn't use the repositories correctly, according to their intended usage.

Yes it is a shame. I'm almost done w the code to use the expanded repository via ftp. This will be with the release after next.

> Or...
> It's a real shame you don't write a cron job that can update the ZIPs nightly, if necessary. (Maybe Karl can help you, if he has a script to update ZIPs in his repository.)

Can anyone point me to the code that does the zipping? While coding it up is trivial, there's no point to re-inventing the wheel. Just port the code to a loop.

> The latter is probably more useful at this point and more urgent since I am going to write a cron job to delete the ZIPs on occasion.

Please don't do this until we have had a chance to write the script.

What would the purpose of doing the mass deletes? Currently JSword uses the file time to determine whether the module has changed. Since our frontends do not advertise updated modules, this is no big deal. We've got the mechanism written to use the conf version field, but it is not in the frontends yet.

If the purpose is to ensure that old stuff is appropriately deleted, then a script comparing module conf to zips deleting those that don't match would be better. This is even simpler to write than the zipper program. This could be added to the zipper program.

BTW, Troy's position has been that it is OK to go to the zip cache first and failing that get the module by parts. But that there should be no requirement of a frontend to have the zips. Many have noted that getting the zip is faster and more reliable than getting by parts.

But please tell us when you put the cache clearing cron job into place.

In Him,
	DM