[sword-devel] Trends in mobile platforms

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 21 17:49:30 MST 2013

On 21 January 2013 21:44, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 21/01/13 18:44, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> But when not-docked, i.e. touch screen mode. The supported SDK/UI are
>> Webapps or Qt 5 / QML with specific ubuntu phone touch UI components.
>
> And just to add one more reasons why I believe Ubuntu Phone is DOA ...
> notice Qt 5. Mark Shuttleworth was sounding in the Ubuntu Phone PR video
> that these are just different UIs for the same OS. Except it is not true
> ... all those Gtk applications which currently run on plain Ubuntu need
> to be completely rewritten to the new framework (and yes, those new apps
> could run both on desktop and phone, but complete rewrite of apps is
> required).

I like Gtk+ a lot, but hardly any existing GTK apps are touch
friendly. So they need to be overhauled anyway. Re factoring &
rewriting is usually quicker.

iPhone is Objective-C, while android is approx. java based. Yet, many
popular applications are available on both with near matching features
(i recently switched from iphone to android so had a fresh switch-over
comparison). I'm not competent enough to judge similarities &
differences between Objective-C (only have grass-root NSObject
knoweledge) / Java (nil) / Qt (nil). And how wide spread Qt is.

W.r.t. DOA well... time will tell =)

Regards,

Dmitrijs.