[sword-devel] Pre-verse div and headings

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 21 10:52:13 MST 2013

On 01/21/2013 05:52 PM, DM Smith wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2013, at 10:07 AM, "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
>
>> OK, to clear this up technically.
>>
>> setIntros() turns on and off the versification extra 'slots':
>>
>> TSTMT BK CH:0 - chapter intro
>> TSTMT BK 0:0 - book intro
>> TSTMT 0 0:0 - testament intro
>> 0 0 0:0 - module intro
> As noted, not all these are handled by osis2mod, but only book and chapter intros. Someday, I'd like direction to add module and testament intros.
>
>> This has nothing to do with filtering tagged content (In the engine)
>>
>> setGlobalOption("Headings", "On"|"Off")
>>
>> This will tell the filter set to turn on/off showing anything considered a section heading.  This used to only be pre-verse titles (e.g., "The Sermon On The Mount")-- as DM has pointed out. (Relatively) Recent changes have expanded this to be any content 'pre-verse'-- not just stuff in a <title> tag.
> This is a problem. It should not toggle the entire pre-verse div, but only the titles (title element and its content) and other text (presumably non-canonical) contained in it. It should not filter the structural tags. The filtering of those structural tags is the problem mentioned in the thread "Vertical Whitespace."

What do you envision in the inter-verse material which should be
displayed?  Newlines?  Is this the only thing that prevents toggling
preverse material based on the "Headings" option?

I'm not arguing one way or another (yet).  I'm just interested. The
previous "purpose" for the "preverse" material concept was to isolate
material which should be shown when a verse is being viewed in context,
but which needs to be shown before the verse marker. There are many use
cases for this need.  One is:

When the verse is being shown stand-along (e.g., in a search results
list) this material is (typically) not shown by a frontend.

Another is:

Many users which to turn this material off when reading in context.

Until recently, the only thing in this space was section headings., so
turning on and off pre-verse material based on section headings made sense.

What kinds of things would you still want to be shown when sections
headings are turned off?

>> I can see conceptually how these can easily get blurred.  It was much easier to see the difference when "Headings" was limited to titles like "The Sermon On The Mount".  I don't like seeing these when I am reading through the text.  They are sometimes like "spoilers" in a movie, e.g., "The Death of King Saul"  I usually turn these off when I am reading.  On the other hand, when I am flipping through my printed Bible, I value these to help orient me to about where I am.  Intros were seen as lengthy book or chapter introductions frequent in printed study Bibles.  Now that "pre-verse" material can be lengthier than simply a section heading, it does blur the lines a little.
> I'm still confused. When verse 0 is requested (regardless of what type of intro it is), Peter notes that it is affected by the headings render filter. I'm pretty sure that the material in it is not marked pre-verse.
Material in the intro slots of the versification are not affected by
setGlobalOption("Headings", "On"|"Off").
Let me say it differently: the fact that material is in an intro slot in
the versification has no bearing on how the "Heading" option filters
work.  This materal might all be marked by something the "Headings"
filters will remove (right or wrong), but it does not remove them based
on them being in a 0 slot.

> It seems to me that verse 0 is always non-canonical and should be toggled by a "not canonical" render filter.

Renaming a feature from "Toggle Section Headings" to "Toggle
Non-canonical" might make more sense to us, and indeed may do exactly
what the user intends, but will they understand the feature title?
Should we keep the feature title the same but act as "Toggle
Non-canonical"?  Hmmm.  Maybe, but might there be other stuff the user
wants to see that's non-canonical?  Footnotes? x-refs, "Intros" :)  Just
thinking out loud right now.

Troy