[sword-devel] Fwd: automake issue under Arch Linux

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:15:56 MST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann at t-online.de
> wrote:

> Am 15.01.2013 17:44, schrieb Greg Hellings:
>
>> Stefan,
>>
>> Does this patch affect the ability of SWORD to compile with the help of
>> older versions of automake, or does it break the older stuff?
>>
>> --Greg
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Stefan Husmann <
>> stefan-husmann at t-online.de
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Betreff: automake issue under Arch Linux
>>> Datum: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:12:28 +0100
>>> Von: Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann at t-online.de>
>>> An: sword-devel at crosswire.org
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> this is my first post here, and if it has been brought up already
>>> -- I only searched in January and december's mail archives --, I
>>> apologize.
>>>
>>> I am building the sword library from the svn sources and have had
>>> problems
>>> with aclocal coming with automake 1.13.1.
>>>
>>> The simple patch at http://paste.pound-python.org/****show/29082/<http://paste.pound-python.org/**show/29082/>
>>> <http://paste.**pound-python.org/show/29082/<http://paste.pound-python.org/show/29082/>
>>>

>>> Please consider it.
>>>
>>> Best Regards Stefan Husmann

>>  Greg,
>
> according to http://forum.world.st/PATCH-**build-don-t-use-obsolescent-**
> AM-PROG-CC-STDC-and-AM-CONFIG-**HEADER-td4630038.html<http://forum.world.st/PATCH-build-don-t-use-obsolescent-AM-PROG-CC-STDC-and-AM-CONFIG-HEADER-td4630038.html>the variable AM_CONFIG_HEADER is deprcated since 2002.
>
> According to http://www.mail-archive.com/**automake@gnu.org/msg18202.html<http://www.mail-archive.com/automake@gnu.org/msg18202.html>INCLUDES is obsolete since 2003, but in this case only a warning, not a
> failure, is given by automake 1.13.1.

I imagine a decade worth of deprecation is probably sufficient to put it
out of the requirements of SWORD's targetted support. I believe we usually
compare againt any LTS versions of Ubuntu, current Debian and RHEL as our
benchmarks for "old enough". AFAIK all of those fall within the past decade
with at least one release!

--Greg