[sword-devel] Exclusive Rights Granting Crosswire License to Distribute

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jan 7 12:54:25 MST 2013

Andrew and others,

This thread is counterproductive-- and has been for quite some time.

It is now closed.

I was CC:ed on the email Peter sent you (Andrew) privately which
outlines explicitly how he was able to obtain multiple modules from your
mirror which indeed have:

DistributionLicense=Copyrighted; Permission to distribute granted to
CrossWire

The email gave step by step instructions how to reproduce the download,
which consisted simply of adding your mirror for use by the SWORD
InstallManager command line interface and using the standard lookup and
install commands.

I give you the benefit of the doubt that you innocently and simply
didn't know that removing the mods.d/*.conf file was not enough to avoid
listing the module as available for download (it was still in the cache
mods.d.tar.gz file and the data files available in the modules/* folder)

Please removed all modules from your mirrors for which you have not
obtained redistribution licenses personally.

If you fail to do so (which I give you the benefit of the doubt and hope
you will comply), since the URL was posted publicly on this list, you
will be banned from further posting to this list.

At the risk of assuming I can reword the sentiments of other on this
thread, to make things obvious to you:

I believe you need to invert your thinking about copyright
restrictions.  Try starting with 0 (zero) rights, and then build on that
from what you read in the license.  So, in other words: If a work is (C)
Copyrighted by the creator.  You should start by assuming you have no
rights to copy the work and certainly no rights to DISTRIBUTE THE WORK
FOR ANY PURPOSE (distributing is a superset of copying, so this should
make sense in set theory).

CrossWire starts this way too.  We assume we have no rights to copy or
publicly distribute any copyrighted work unless we gain permission from
the copyright holder.  When a copyright owner grants CrossWire
permission to copy and distribute, we define this as: making the text
publicly available from "*.crosswire.org".

This does not mean our USERS can copy the work or publicly redistribute
the work by making the text available to others; it simply means the
CrossWire can copy the work and distribute it to our users.  Some of our
agreements do explicitly allow redistribution and we state that to our
users.  We assume all our users assume they start with 0 (zero) rights
to copy and distribute the text.  We feel they can safely understand any
of these rights conveyed by the entry in the module's
DistributionLicense field:

http://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:conf_Files#DistributionLicense

If a right to copy and distribute is not explicitly granted, then our
users should assume they do not have these DISTRIBUTION rights, unless
they are told otherwise by the publisher.  (As DM has pointed out, some
publishers grant further rights in the "About" section of our .conf
file, e.g., "Permission to use up to 500 words... blah blah").  But if
you're looking for an overall distribution license for the entire module
that is conveyed from the publisher through CrossWire to the end user,
this would be summarized in the DistributionLicense field.

If you've not been granted your own permission to copy and distribute a
text by the publisher directly, then you likely do not have that
permission and should always begin by assuming that you do not have
permission unless you have explicitly seen it granted to you.

Hope this helps summarize this thread and represents the general
thoughts of everyone who have spoken with you regarding copyright in
general and the policy we have against posting of public links on this
mailing list to copies of our modules which are copyrighted by
publishers who have not granted redistribution rights through CrossWire
(as would be expressly seen in the DistributionLicense field if
re-distribution rights had been granted).

Please cease posting on this topic and please remove the modules.

Thank you,

Troy