[sword-devel] Exclusive Rights Granting Crosswire License to Distribute

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:53:03 MST 2013

Chris this list in an of itself is not sufficient (legally) to establish
these principles.  It is the Copyright owners who make this determination,
not Crosswire list members.

Each Copyright owner is entitled to impose unique restrictions on the use
of their texts.  CrossWire is bound on a module by module basis to abide by
the license agreement agreed to by the Copyright owner. (Although these
agreements may be smiliar, I doubt very much they are exactly the same.
You can see from comparing ESV's general license to ISVs general license
(found under legal) they differ.

It may be the case that the ISV foundations license to Crosswire is not as
restritive as Peter and Chris claimed and my action of sharing a compile
module on a separate server didn't in fact breach anything.  Only by
inspecting Crosswire's license obligations can this be determined though.

Now that I've been tarred and feathered, I would kind of like to know if
Crosswires license to distrbiute the ISV indeed prohibits this (so I can
know if I'm guilty as charged or not).  Also, if no such restriction
exists, Peter's claim that I have no right to distribute the ISV doesn't
hold, and I'll consider continuing to server it on my repo.

~A