[sword-devel] Finding out copyright programatically

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Jan 6 14:39:28 MST 2013

> Von: Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk>

> Can I suggest adding something in the module configuration and/or
> sword/jsword backends that could indicate what kind of copyright we're
> dealing with: PUBLIC_DOMAIN, COPYRIGHT, OTHER, etc.

As such this is simply a call to see some conf entry, is it not?

The only caveat would be that the conf entry might not be present and something sensible (i.e. something which stops you using a module inadvertently) needs to be returned.

The next question is interpretation of the result - rights for distribution of a unchanged module e.g. would prevent using it in a webserver. Rights to create derivates non-commercially would preclude having e.g. ads on the screen.

Maybe one of the best solutions (not sure if this is feasible) would be to return a bit encoded byte value which summarises

Copyright - yes/no
Distributable as unchanged module yes/no
Distributable as derivate yes/no
Commercial yes/no

For a church website without ads, only the third value would be relevant. For someone who wants to create CDs with modules to give away or sale, 2 and 4 would be relevant.

Does this cover what you were thinking of?

Peter