[sword-devel] Exclusive Rights Granting Crosswire License to Distribute

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Jan 6 09:12:04 MST 2013

On Jan 6, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Andrew Thule <thulester at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since this has been a controversial topic recently (and since accusations have made the matter personal), can Crosswire please post (to the wiki) the terms of its licensing agreements with each Copyright holder (on a module by module basis) so that its licensing rights are known and transparent to all?

No, we cannot publish the terms of licensing agreements. Think about it. These are confidential, privileged contracts between organizations.

> Since Crosswire is asserting these rights it must be prove it actually posses them and outline what they are (or it must forfeit the right to exercise them).  Since it is holding module developers accountable to its licensing terms, it must make the license public, for the sake of transparency.

The contracts are dictated by the publishers. When asked what they need to say, we provide the broadest description of what they need to say at minimum, but we don't ever suggest particular wording or terms. If the terms are unacceptable to us, we communicate that clearly and let them either amend their terms or withdraw the module.

We only need to prove our assertion with the publishers. Which we have do on occasion.

The wording of your request is inviting a "go pound sand" response. Please be careful in how you word things.

In Him,
	DM