[sword-devel] Lexical fields

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Mon Aug 19 14:53:01 MST 2013

Hi

Tyndale House (Cambridge) have devised an automatic way of transliterating
both Greek and Hebrew with syllable markers in the Hebrew. STEP uses this
as part of searches and auto completes as well as interlinears. The scheme
is still in beta and being refined but shout if you want the code and I can
point you to it. Or shout if you want examples.

I also have a mapping of all the strongs and all possible forms found in
the Hebrew and Greek texts. That was based on existing Sword modules.

Tyndale have created a lexicon with lexical forms attached to every strong
number based on LSJ and BDB and some others. Actually the number of fields
we have is a lot more than the ones you suggest. Couple of samples
attached. (Transliterations aren't in the files as we generate those as we
index the data. )
leu me know of yow interested.
Chris

        Oh, I should have suggested, rather than "pronunciation", that
there be beta, transliteration,and phonetic fields.

        HTH,

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:

>         Has anyone suggested the following fields in conf files for
lexica/dictionaries/etc?

> Fields=Strongs,LexForm,Pronunciation,Etymology,Definition
> LexLang=Greek
>
>         My idea is that the "Fields" entry would consist of a
comma-separated list of fields in the lexicon, and that the "LexLang" item
would indicate the language of the LexForm field.

>         The list of fields was derived simply by looking at entry 5624 in
the StrongsRealGreek dictionary; the "Strongs" entry indicates the Strongs
number (5624), the LexForm entry would indicate the lexical form
(ὠφέλιμος), the Pronunciation entry would contain the pronunciation data
which appears, the "Etymology" entry would contain "from a form of 3786",
and the Definition
> field would contain the definition.
>
>         All of this would, if I understand correctly, replace the
GreekDef and HebrewDef options.  The advantage of doing it this way is that
indicies could be generated on multiple fields, so that a text that links
to strongs numbers could do so, but a text that instead has morphological
tagging linking to lexical forms could also do that.  It would also be
possible for people to look up words in their lexica using either the word,
or the strongs number.