[sword-devel] New public git mirror of Sword SVN trunk and why

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:09:24 MST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/2012 09:13 PM, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> > I created a new git mirror of the SVN trunk of Sword at gitorious:
> >
> > Gitorious web page:
> >
> >   https://gitorious.org/sword-svn-mirrors/trunk
>
> I haven't been satisfied with this mirror (not proper names in git
> fashion, no branches, and no tags), so I have created IMHO a more proper
> one on https://gitorious.org/sword/sword

Since SWORD currently does not have any branches that are actively
maintained, that seems a moot point.

I'm curious what you mean by "not proper names in git fashion".

> I know there is an organization on https://github.com/crosswire which
> has been already used by JSword folks, but let me just say that I prefer
> free software hosting over proprietary ones. Also, with DVCS it doesn't
> matter that much which server the repository is currently hosted on, it
> can be transferred to github easily if the wish arises.

I'm unsure what your criticism of github is, but
https://github.com/github
if you want to see the piles and piles of code github has available for the
community. Overall it seems as though gitorious and github are basically
the same. "Six of one, half-dozen of the other."

One thing a github repository gains (not sure about gitorious?) is that
it's natively "bilingual". If someone wants to clone my Sword repository
with git they can hit up
https://github.com/greg-hellings/sword.git

But if they prefer Subversion they can hit
https://github.com/greg-hellings/sword/trunk
or
https://github.com/greg-hellings/sword/branches/v1.7-bugfix

Then they don't have to be bothered with git but can still access my work
and branches.

--Greg