[sword-devel] Time Zone settings (per user, not per server) (was: Re: Jira is down... )

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 17 20:49:02 MST 2012

On 09/17/2012 04:02 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> The latest and greatest version of JIRA now sports this top message:

>> Your computer's time zone does not appear to match your user
>> setting of (GMT-07:00) Phoenix. Click here to update your
>> settings.

Note that these are *your* settings, for your Jira login.  Not global
settings for the whole server.

> Well as few of us live in the same time zone as the server, this
> message is entirely superfluous.

What timezone you live in is not the issue that the message describes,
at all.  Only that the timezone you told it you live in, when you set up
your account, does not match the one your browser is now sending to it.

So, it is asking if you want to update your user settings for Jira to
match the timezone of your browser.  That's all.

> Please can someone teak JIRA so that this message gets suppressed.

Why?  It does no harm (as far as I know!), and it helps people set their
Jira profile up more accurately, (so Jira can display times and dates in
their local timezone for them, avoiding confusion, avoiding needing to
know which timezone someone submitting a comment or uploading a file
lives in) if they have not already done so.

SUMMARY: The message makes sense, and has value.  Let Jira update your
settings, if you don't want to see it any more.

Jonathan