[sword-devel] The poor man's interlinear

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 11:29:40 MST 2012

Having pressed the matter further with my good friend at MissionAssist, here
is his response:

---

This sums up what NRSI told me when I began to look at machine checking of
old vs new:

"In doing automated checking, one has to be careful not to rely on processes
which give a false impression of accuracy. For example, some people have
proposed converting a file to Unicode, and then converting it back to
legacy, and comparing the original legacy file to the final version. But
that only tells you that the conversion table is reversible, not that it is
accurate. A comparison which relies on the same mapping table as was used to
do the conversion will only tell you whether the rules of the mapping table
were applied as written. In general, comparison of two data sets is useful
only if the two data sets were created by independent paths."

---

My remarks follow:

Having met one of the programmers (during the EMDC) who works for SIL's NRSI
(on implementing the Graphite Engine), I hold them in the highest regard for
their technical knowledge and skills.

So yes, the interlinear arrangement originally requested does serve only one
purpose: to provide /additional /confirmation that the visual appearance of
text in the Unicode version matches that of the original with the legacy
font.

Some details have been omitted in this reply.

Aside:  DM himself should recognize the truth of the statement "In general,
comparison of two data sets is useful only if the two data sets were created
by independent paths." That's precisely the background and underlying
philosophy for the KJV2006 project.

David