[sword-devel] Locale differences

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 21:06:02 MST 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the record, BPBible allows the locale for book names to be selected
> independently from the locale for the user interface (though it will default
> to being the same).  From memory this was added to handle the case where
> book names were available for another language but no one was ever likely to
> translate BPBible into that language.  It seems to also have fallback to the
> default SWORD book names (e.g. English).

This is the exact scenario I find myself in. Does BPBible allow that
to be selected on a per-module basis? For instance, I would love to
work this one minority language module in its native but I do all the
rest of my work in English.

> I've considered allowing it to use book names for the module language as
> well as the current locale, but have never actually implemented it and so
> have not considered which way to prioritise it.  A possible issue is if you
> have one reference box which controls multiple linked windows in different
> languages (e.g. two Bibles or a Bible and a commentary).  Would we expect
> the app to parse references in any of the languages present in any of those
> windows?

An intriguing possibility. Xiphos is almost always working two windows
- scripture and commentary - which need not bear any relation to one
another. BibleTime is able to turn any Bible window into a
multi-module window by adding another Bible or Commentary. I would
expect it to understand all available languages, though I'm not sure
how much good that would actually do. But it also bears considering
that if I have two modules open, one in English and one in German
let's say, and I click on a reference that is not in osisID format,
can an application properly parse such a reference from both modules
or will one of them get booted to Revelation 1:1? Such a scenario
provides a possible reason that all dictionaries - at least of opened
modules - be considered. Order would, of course, need to be dictated
in some way.

--Greg