[sword-devel] OSIS book abbreviations for Sword updated

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Sep 2 19:15:06 MST 2012

Thanks for your feedback.

On 08/28/2012 02:36 PM, jonathon wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 04:53 AM, Chris Little wrote:
>> Some things that are strictly excluded:
>> - The Ethiopic broader canon. (Identified here:
>
>> These books, though considered canonical are not considered biblical, by
>> which I mean they aren't part of Bibles printed in this tradition.
>
> PsJos is the only book you list, that is not dedicated to church
> governance. I'm not sure where PsJos comes in, since most lists omit it,
> and some of the papers I've read on the topic have claimed that they
> found no evidence that anybody outside of Europe ever claimed it was
> canonical.

I can cite one Ethiopian source that claims PsJos is part of the
narrower canon. The Fetha Nägäst, translated into English at
http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/biography/01thelawofkings.pdf, gives a
canon list on page 15 (printed page, not PDF page), which includes PsJos
(but excludes 1En & Jub).

That might be enough to bump it to our main list, but I have some
library research to do before I'm certain that's the right move.

> Regardless, as best as I've been able to tell, The books on church
> governance are part of the Broader Canon. A work that hasn't been
> printed in any language, since 1900, and probably much earlier than that.

My concern isn't limited to whether books have been included in Bibles
printed recently. I'm concerned with those books included in Bibles
since the invention of the codex.

>> without some input from someone in the community (meaning the Bible
>   Society of Ethiopia, probably).
>
> It only publishes the _Narrower Canon_, which, whilst problematic for
> most Biblical Software, is at least reasonable defined.
>
> The 1986 _Haile Selassie Edition of the Bible_, is the current
> definitive edition in Amharic.
>
>> the Ascension of Isaiah
>
> I'd have to double check, but I think it is included within one of the
> books that are part of the Narrow Canon COE81.

I'd imagine it would be tacked on to the end of Isaiah, if it's counted
as part of another book, much as additional Jeremiah/Baruch material is
sometimes reckoned as part of Jeremiah. I've never heard this
suggestion, but it's certainly a possibility that I'll investigate.

>> Acts of Paul & Thecla
>
> That was tossed out of the canon before the end of the first millennium.
> What confuses people, is that Thecla remained a popular apostle for
> several centuries after she was demoted by the Catholic church. That
> popularity "encouraged"

It definitely wasn't included in western Bibles or canons. I don't
believe it was necessarily included in any historical Orthodox canons,
either. But it's not unreasonable to believe that the Acts of Paul &
Thecla appeared in some Bibles produced in particular regions.

--Chris