[sword-devel] seeking consensus on OSIS lemma best practice

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:07:23 MST 2012

On 10/12/2012 03:16 PM, Chris Little wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 1:40 PM, Daniel Owens wrote:
>> Gary Holmlund and I are working on a problem related to the Westminster
>> Hebrew Morphology (WHM) module. We need a consensus on markup practices
>> for OSIS lemma.
>>
>> I was having a problem getting natural Hebrew lemma to look up an entry
>> and display it in the mag window. Gary discovered that if "H" is
>> prefixed to lemma in WHM, the BibleTime mag window works with Hebrew
>> lemma (as opposed to Strong's numbers).
>>
>> My understanding is that this is not typical OSIS best practice but a
>> SWORD convention. I resisted at first, but now I think there is some
>> wisdom to using this method. We need some way to distinguish between
>> Hebrew and Aramaic words, which can be identical in form but not in
>> meaning. WHM uses @ for Hebrew and % for Aramaic. I suggested to Gary
>> that we compromise and simply change @ to H and % to A, modifying
>> BibleTime to strip A and H and use that to look for the entry in the
>> correct lexicon.
>>
>> The markup would look like this:
>>
>> Hebrew (from Deuteronomy): <w lemma="whmlemma:Hאבד"
>> morph="whmmorph:some_value">תֹּאבֵדוּן֮</w>
>>
>> Aramaic (from Jeremiah): <w lemma="whmlemma:Aאבד"
>> morph="whmmorph:some_value">יֵאבַ֧דוּ</w>
>>
>> The main problem I see is that other front-ends may not follow the
>> process of looking for G or H and then stripping the character before
>> looking up the entry.
>>
>> Could we come to a consensus on this?
>
> Could you confirm that this is the behavior in some front end other
> than BibleTime? From my perspective it just sounds like a BibleTime bug.
>
> This is certainly bad OSIS encoding. It is also not a Sword
> convention. If anything is implemented that requires a language prefix
> like this, it represents a bug, whether in Sword or in BibleTime.
>
> --Chris
Here is a quote of a comment from Xiphos source code:

      Strong's words are specified as a prefix letter H or G (Hebrew or
      Greek) and the numeric word identifier, e.g. G2316 to find
\"θεός\" (\"God\").

So it appears to use the H or G method. Is there is documentation about
a better way to do this?

Gary