[sword-devel] multiple languages in modules

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 05:10:43 MST 2012

G'day Karl,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>wrote:

> > Is the <foreign> element passed through the engine? If so, do I need
> > to file bugs with front-ends to encourage support of <foreign>?
>
> Having just looked, the string "foreign" does not appear in Sword's
> source tree in src/modules/filters/*.cpp.  So it's not supported right
> now after all.  I don't know how BPBible supports it; I had understood
> that BPBible uses the regular filter sets.  Does BPBible actually
> subclass the filters and extend them for <foreign>?

BPBible doesn't support foreign. It only looks like it does.
What BPBible does support is automatically detecting Greek and Hebrew text
and marking it to be used with the configured Greek/Hebrew fonts.

Just for the record, BPBible does subclass the regular filters quite
substantially.
It uses it for things like:
poetic text display
strongs headwords instead of numbers (if option is on)
quote colouring by speaker in ESV (if option is on)
cross-reference expansion (if option is on)

as well as some HTML+class code so CSS can be applied
Probably some of the new XHTML filter will overlap with what BPBible is
doing with some of the basic html + classes it is writing out.

God bless,
Ben.