[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Tue Nov 13 16:43:23 MST 2012

On 11/13/2012 11:40 AM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> "A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations,
> or other modifications, which, as a whole, represent an original work
> of authorship, is a “derivative work” which is clearly the case here.
> This module contains annotations, elaborations, and other
> modifications and is clearly not the same as Oxford University Press'
> 39 volume published works "Discoveries in the Judean Desert" so
> automatically qualifies as derivative work by definition. However,
> people would rather argue than read law and case law.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that the problem was that your work was
not derivative. No, just the opposite. There is a problem even if it is
derivative. You can copy something or a portion of something without
modifying it. That would be a non-derivative copy. Or, you can copy
something, or a portion of something and modify it. That would be a
derivative copy. Either way it is a copy as in copyright.

Works under copyright are protected from having derivative works made of
them, unless it is a case covered by an exemption to copyright, such as
fair use, but not all derivatives are fair use.

Jerry