[sword-devel] usfx

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 03:17:44 MST 2012

Hi Chris,

> Von: Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk>

> I've found some instructions on transforming usfm/x to osis on the wiki
> but
> was wondering how difficult it would be to automate a lot of it?

Several of us have been starting to think and experiment with this too.

Basically it is easy to automate as such. The problem is around cleaning up.

There is a thread earlier this year where some of this was discussed. The basic plan is to use a git repository and git hooks with scripts attached to that. Some infrastructure is up, but not much else has happened yet.

> is it such that there is too much manual cleaning up?

Manual/mechanical cleaning up is a huge need, unfortunately. I have not yet encountered a truly clean USFM text, despite all claims by various USFM experts.

> also, I was wondering if there's any appetite in developing a driver to
> read such modules, within sword or jsword...

You mean to read directly USFM?

Peter