[sword-devel] DSS (Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls based upon DJD translations)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Nov 7 12:52:05 MST 2012

On 07/11/12 15:52, Andrew Thule wrote:
> It is a derivative work from academic translations, but for now treat as
> copyrighted, until I resolve the license issue.  With the exception of
> Elisha Qimron's translations (by the Israeli Supreme Court no less), all
> other DSS translations are treated as academic or scientific knowledge,
> and so free for use, subject to citation.

I hate being a spoilsport (and I think I get form in that...), but I do
not think this will cut it. What is "academic" in these circumstances?
Unless the country the translations have been made somehow PDs all
produce by publicly funded universities (unlikely, TBH) then these texts
will be subject to the ordinary rules as usual - no publication unless
permissions are obtained.

Now, I think it would be great to gain permission, and academic sources
are often very kind + generous with these, but please be careful not to
assume.

Peter