[sword-devel] Not showing up title of chapter

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 7 04:37:42 MST 2012

On Mar 6, 2012, at 4:59 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> Matěj,
>
> Moving the title element to after the verse milestone and adding the subType
> attribute might solve the problem. It's worth a try, at least.

David,
I don't think it is worth a try. We should not have to figure out a work around for a bug that is being fixed (and has been fixed). At no point should one put x-preverse in their master document. Worst case a post processing script could be used to create temporary input for osis2mod.

Putting a chapter header which needs to find its way into verse 0 of the chapter will not work by putting it into verse 1. At best it would become a verse heading.

> <verse sID="Ruth.1.1" osisID="Ruth.1.1"/><title subType="x-preverse"
> type="chapter">Elímelekova rodina</title>
> I stalo se za dnů, <transChange type="added">kdy</transChange>
>
> btw. The attribute canonical="true" is not required in the chapter
> milestone.

We've been going round about when canonical="true" ought to be used.

You are correct technically, from the perspective of XML inheritance, an inheritable attribute on a milestoned version of an element is meaningless. So in that sense XML doesn't require it.

You are also correct that SWORD will not use the value of canonical on that element (or for any element other than title or the pre-verse div hack). So in that sense SWORD does not require it.

Troy suggested (maybe I misunderstood him) that the intention of canonical="true" default on a verse semantically applies to the content of a verse even if it is in milestoned form.

I'm of the opinion that the versification, thus chapterification, of a Bible is canonical="true" and that the chapter element (which has the default canonical="false") needs canonical="true". The content of a chapter, outside of verses, is canonical="false". So in the sense of an inheritable attribute on a container, even in milestoned form, it makes sense to have it canonical="false".

In Him,
	DM