[sword-devel] USFM -> OSIS -> Sword

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:12:13 MST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson <
kahunapule at mpj.cx> wrote:

>  On 03/06/2012 12:47 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>

>>    1. You accurately preserve all of the original text and punctuation
>>    (including quotation punctuation) exactly as it was in the original USFM.
>>    This involves the complete process from module creation to display in all
>>    front ends. This is an absolute requirement with respect to the canonical
>>    text. If this condition isn't met, then I don't have permission to convert
>>    these Scriptures to Sword format, nor do you have such permission.
>>

> I'm afraid I do not understand how either you or CrossWire can ensure that
> *all* front ends display all text correctly.  I have no idea from your
> descriptions whether BPBible or any other frontends would meet the
> requirements currently.  However, even if they did it is conceivable that a
> new front end is created which does not meet the requirements.  Does this
> mean that CrossWire immediately loses permission to distribute the text for
> use in any of the front ends? (including all the front ends that are
> compliant, of course).
>

> That is a very good question-- one that I really don't want to have to
> raise with the copyright owners!
>
> At a minimum, noncompliant front ends may not use the texts if they cannot
> do so without corrupting them.

A couple of things:
1. Non-compliant frontends do not use the text: users do.
2. Non-compliant frontends do not distribute modules: CrossWire (or some
other organisation) does.

> I'm not talking about getting all of the formatting correct. I'm just
> talking about exactly preserving all text and punctuation of the canonical
> text. If a front end cannot do that, it should be withdrawn from public
> distribution, as it is clearly a threat to our ability to distribute
> Scriptures. Actually, there is a greater threat that copyrights: the fear
> of God. I wouldn't want to be caught dead or alive corrupting the Holy
> Bible. I would think that you wouldn't, either. It is a fearsome thing to
> fall into the hands of God when He is angry.

All of this assumes knowledge of errors.  Unless you manually test every
verse of every Bible in every frontend, some could display a result
different from what you expected.  I know that at different times I have
seen some unusual bugs.
A few (real world) cases:
1. A bug in BPBible meant that when Strong's Numbers were displayed, some
verses in the Chinese would not display.
2. A bug in encoding meant opening a Bible to a particular chapter would
raise an error message.
3. Incorrect font usage meant that the text displayed completely wrongly.

When these bugs are encountered and reported, we will fix them, but I
cannot write (consistently) bug-free code and I don't think I've ever met a
developer who can.  Certainly a fairly high percentage of the module
rendering errors that are reported to me in BPBible are caused by modules I
had never used (often in languages I did not know), and where for whatever
reason my assumptions were wrong.

Jon