[sword-devel] OSIS example

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Sat Mar 3 17:59:15 MST 2012

Based on varied sources, including Patrick's helpful example OSIS Bible,
I put together an example OSIS "Bible" that validates and is consistent
with the wiki page on OSIS Bibles (
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles). The text itself is mostly
KJV text, with a little Hebrew to illustrate more than what the KJV can
by itself. I chose to use the BSP structure because the KJV illustrates
the BCV structure well already, and I have no idea idea how to deal with
paragraphs and poetry in the BCV structure.

You can find the example file and the following list of features at
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles/BSPExample:

- BookGroup and section titles, including parallel passages: <title>
- Book introduction
- List: <list>, <item>
- Bold and italic text: <hi>
- Strong's numbers, lemma, and morphology: <w>, @lemma, @morph
- Notes, including study notes and cross-references: <note>, <reference>
- Marked additions: <transChange>
- Canonical title (Psalms): <title type="psalm" canonical="true">
- Poetry markup: <lg>, <l>
- Divine Name: <seg>, <divineName>
- Variants: <seg type="x-variant" subType="x-1">
- Abbreviations: <abbr>

I compiled and tested the module, and I will send a separate email when
I have a chance to record the results systematically. Suffice it to say,
no one front-end supports all of the markup well, and some features
(such as variants and tables) are conspicuously poorly supported. Since
it is not a complete text of the KJV, some odd display issues should be
ignored, but most front-ends displayed the "New Testament" title at the
bottom of Psalm 3. It would be lovely if front-end developers would see
how their front-end handles it (or doesn't). I can send a compiled
module to those who are interested.

Feedback is welcome. If I have missed something or used less-than-ideal
markup, please let me know, and we can change it.

Daniel