[sword-devel] JNI Bindings

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Mar 2 08:39:06 MST 2012

The JNI bindings should be ready to go.  I finished them to within
epsilon of my goal for Android.  Maybe a few rough edges to iron out.
They are located in the bindings/ folder of the API.

Though for a web application, I'm not sure they would be best.  The
inherent multithreaded nature of web applications might not be handled
well by the JNI bindings.  For example, they share a common SWMgr
internally.  A few rules must be followed when using SWORD in a
multithreaded environment, and the first rule is that each thread should
have its own SWMgr.

We use a stateful class model, so you don't want one thread to set the
state of an object just to have that state changed by another thread.

The SWORDWeb tools work fine without the consumer needing to worry about
threading issues.

For example code see:

http://crosswire.org/study/examples/

specifically:

booklist.jsp
lookup.jsp
search.jsp

(there are some others in there that should be labeled 'experiments'
instead of 'examples')