[sword-devel] OSIS transChange and writing systems without italics?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:03:53 MST 2012

The normal method to display Bible text added by the translators (implemented
in OSIS by the transChange element) is to use italics at the rendering
stage. I guess that job falls to the front-end developers.

Yet some writing systems do not have italics.

In Chinese, for example, I'm informed that such text is typically printed
with dotted underline.

Our two Chinese modules ChiUn and ChiUns do not make any use of the
transChange element, so it's conceivable that most front-end developers have
never encountered the question.

First, am I correct in my assumptions?

Second, is there a proper solution, albeit we might hardly have begun to
implement it?

Third, if this has not been addressed before, what might be the most
suitable means to implement it?

Fourth, is this something perhaps that is there already deep within ICU ?

Best regards,

David