[sword-devel] HTML5 File API and SWORD modules

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 01:07:53 MST 2012

On 31/07/12 09:08, Stephan wrote:
> I'm thinking about to build a HTML5 frontend that works offline in a
> browser. I know that there were some discussions before about this
> topic, but I want to know if it is possible to read the sword modules
> with the HTML5 File API (http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/)?

FileAPI reads from local storage (it is still covered by cross-origin
protection;
https://developer-new.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Using_files_from_web_applications).
You mean FileReader and XMLHttp, right? See
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/02/saving-images-and-files-in-localstorage/ for
an exaplanation.

> Converting the modules to JSON format may be also an option, although
> there is the 2.5/5MB size limit for localStorage / IndexDB, but it would
> be easier to read such files.

OTOH, it is apparently possible to store files (as type blob or file) in
IndexedDB without conversion to JSON
(https://developer-new.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/IndexedDB,
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/02/saving-images-and-files-in-localstorage/,
and
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/02/storing-images-and-files-in-indexeddb/), which
stores files locally (outside of JSON storage) and should have virtually
no limits on size.

Also series on http://www.nczonline.net/blog/tag/file-api/

> I already build an SWORD NPAPI plugin (32bit, linux only,
> http://www.mail-archive.com/sword-devel@crosswire.org/msg24393.html) to
> get my Bible App working in Chrome/Chromium, but I'm looking for a full
> offline web app and not a hybrid solution.

If you have anything to test, I am willing to help you to test it with
Firefox (I am using Nightly/Aurora branch, so we should be pretty close
in terms of capabilities) so that we don't have yet another proprietary
Chrome-only website.

Blessings,

Matěj

Home is where ~/.bashrc is.