[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Jul 29 13:50:21 MST 2012

Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
> The Xiphos repository essentially fits this description. It is not
> officially a part of CrossWire, but it is listed in the autodiscover
> repository list and is maintained by one of the people in this thread
> to host modules that he personally wanted to see hosted but which
> CrossWire didn't or wouldn't host.

Just FYI, in July Xiphos repo shipped just short of 9000 modules.  We
keep daily rolling stats in http://ftp.xiphos.org/sword/usage/.  All
told, we appear to ship 162Gb/month.  This is approximately a tenfold
increase since 2 years ago.

It started out as a personal (but public) repo on my home system.  When
we got to Xiphos 3.0, including the renaming GnomeSword -> Xiphos, we
knew our user base would grow dramatically, and we got a hosting
provider so as not to kill my residential-class Comcast connection.