[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Jul 29 04:29:07 MST 2012

On 29/07/12 04:56, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> I really don't see your point about this.

To second that - there is essentially no point.

People who access us from countries which control their internet and
want to block the Bible, need to be cautious and come through proxies,
tor or whatever or obtain stuff via CDs, USB sticks etc.

Providing secondary download sources in the hope that they will not be
observed while our main ones are - this is silly and actually more
dangerous than going the long way via e.g. tor

Bandwith - while this might become a problem, it clearly so far has not
become one. We are on a good strong pipe with no problems.

The offer is kind, is appreciated, but is essentially one which makes no
sense to us, increases our opportunity costs and therefore should be
declined.

Personally, I would suggest if you want to share something with a
friend, there is indeed not a lot which would stop you from mirroring
for a few hours what you want to mirror, i.e. for the time required to
download it. But do not kid yourself with thinking that it is more
secure to download modules this way than via our server with some
security measures applied. And bear copyright in mind.

But we have been down this route of discussion already.

In summary we welcome new volunteers, we are very happy for people to
scratch their own itches instead of doing only what has been done before
or following a prescribed programme, but some things simply do not make
a lot of sense.

I am sure you have skills aplenty which could be usefully employed. Your
bandwith though likely not. At least not in this moment.

Peter