[sword-devel] coptic -vs- fonts

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Jul 28 07:23:26 MST 2012

On 07/28/2012 03:09 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> Using *Firefox 14* to view the wiki page in my Win7 x64 system,
> the one localized name that has a fall-back rendering is the one for got
> 𐌲𐌿𐍄𐌹𐍃𐌺𐌰
>
> That's with Unicode UTF-8 selected as the encoding.
> These 7 characters are U+10332 U+1033F U+10344 U+10339 U+10343 U+1033A
> U+10330
> I can see what it should look like by pasting the name into SC Unipad.
>
> As this is a dead language, it's not critical. Just thought the observation
> was worth reporting.

Hey now. Gothic is one of the few languages I'm fairly good at! I've
been contemplating doing a translation from the Gothic, in fact, akin to
the translations people do from other texts that aren't Greek, Hebrew,
or Aramaic. The Gothic Bible has at least a claim of being a bit older
than the Vulgate.

> btw. I have SIL Graphite enabled in my Firefox config, which means that most
> complex scripts should be supported.

Gothic is one of the less complex scripts. It only has 2 diacritics: a
diaeresis to distinguish two forms of <i> and an overline to mark
numerals & abbreviations. Our text probably doesn't even use the overline.

The text above, <gutiska>, looks fine in Thunderbird on Ubuntu Precise.

--Chris