[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:25:08 MST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org> wrote:
> Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
>> there is a path underneath modules/ that corresponds with where kjv
>> would have been downloaded to (modules/texts/ztext) but the kjv
>> directory under that is gone.
>
> ...because it was mv'd to the normal location after retrieval.
>
>> Thus, we just ensure that the module name is unique and then
>> there is no problem. If the world of modules available continues to
>> grow then someone might need to eventually add this functionality.
>
> Frankly, I hope not.
>
> The repositories do not represent (as it were) individual bookstores,
> from any of which one might find any given module.  Rather, the repos
> represent individual publishers, and patrons get their modules directly,
> without a middle-man bookstore.
>
> If, for example, there ever comes to be a "2nd KJV," its very presence
> will cause more grief than can be reasonably contained.  If someone were
> to create a version of KJV with (say) study notes attached as extensive
> footnotes, Scofield-style, such a module should get a different name,
> such as KJVstudy or somesuch thing.
>
> I understand the argument for wanting both KJV 2.3 (main) and 2.4 (beta)
> to be installed.  But honestly, the utility of such a thing has such a
> small, marginal audience that I just don't see value in the
> implementation.  They're just different versions of the same thing,
> never intended by to be installed together: By far, far, far, far, far,
> Joe Average wants "the" KJV module, and will stick with it, though he
> /may/ upgrade it, if he should ever notice that a newer version has
> shown up.  How often does Joe Average even invoke a module manager
> (install manager, bookshelf manager), so as to notice?

This was exactly my point as to why it has not been implemented. As a
module creator I've wished for this ability on a few occasions but it
was never important enough to warrant working on it.

However, if the amount of modules were to explode and there were to be
dozens of publishers and repositories for each one, then it would be
good to have this implemented. Then if I had electronic copies of the
"Student's Bible" in KJV and my Defender's Study Bible also in KJV,
both of them might want to just name their module the "KJV". The
application should be able to discern between "Zondervan's KJV" and
"ICR's KJV".

There are myriad ways to do this, but at present none are necessary as
the number of module sources is minimal and the vast majority are
under "our" collective control.

--Greg