[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 09:10:10 MST 2012

Last time this issue came up, it was made very clear that surrounding
the issue of FTP mirrors were sensitivities around the distribution of
Sword modules because of licensing encumbrances.  So this purpose of
this email is seek clarification about this given that InstallMgr
appears to be moving in a direct that may support multiple module
locations.

When Crosswire obtains license to distribute texts as Sword modules,
is there an explicit prohibition that precludes Crosswire from
distributing its modules in a distributed manner (because of policy
decisions, load-balancing issues, whatever). Specifically, is
Crosswire prohibited from mirroring itself (assuming the mirror is
completely synchronized with the parent site).

Assuming licensing restrictions are there to preserve the integrity of
the text (reasonable constraint), is Crosswire looking to mirror
itself at any point in the future for the sake of increasing the scope
of dissemination for the tools/technology?

Since Crosswire freely allows modules to be downloaded and governs the
use of these modules afterwards through the each modules' licensing
rights, is there something else that precludes their downstream
redistribution so long as the original license is honoured and
preserved?  (In other words, if the licenses is established by the
original module creator, or the license holder for the text, is
Crosswire able to impose additional restrictions on the use of the
text?  Should it (not)?)

Previously, I set up a mirror of all sites with SWORD modules as a
type of one-stop-shop site where I knew the modules were accessible to
locations where Crosswire isn't actually (or isn't advisable).  I was
told to shut it down, and I did - honouring the request.  Even so,
unless there are legal reasons the texts cannot be distributed from
mirrors, or there's been a project decision not to go down this road
(which hasn't been publicly communicated) it would be of great benefit
to provide additional clarify on Rights management.

(Not trying to stir any pots - I recognize the sensitivities - please be gentle)
~A