[sword-devel] Titles and other Inter-verse material

Kahunapule Michael Johnson kahunapule at mpj.cx
Mon Jul 23 19:35:33 MST 2012

On 07/23/2012 04:06 PM, Chris Little wrote:
> On 07/23/2012 07:09 AM, David Haslam wrote:
>

>> He therefore introduced a new OSIS element <milestone type="x-p-indent" />
>>
>> It's used to provide a poetry indentation as an alternative to using line
>> elements with level attributes.
>> Currently, deeper indents are created by two or three <milestone
>> type="x-p-indent" /> elements in series.
>
> That sounds incredibly bad. It's up there with milestoned <p/>.
>
> Why not just encode &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; * the number of indents? Or use the UTF-8 equivalent, which is only 10-bytes long. They both require no processing by rendering filters and are meaningless as standard markup like the milestone tag above.

The reason that Xulsword works well with poetry is that its different markup is matched with its different display code making a better over-all system with respect to poetry display.

If you think that milestoned paragraph types, poetic or otherwise, are a bad idea, then the best argument you can make is by making non-milestoned paragraphs, poetry, and prose work well end-to-end. In the mean time, somebody just proved that milestoned poetic lines can work well.

In the end, I think that it is the whole system that matters, not just the source markup, module creation, module format, engine, and front ends individually, but how they work together as a unit to display Scriptures in many languages and with the features and typographic formatting richness that people have come to expect from their Bibles.